Please note that while I do make a commission on some of the links I’ve included, this is at no extra cost to you. Any purchases you make through my links help me continue to run my blog, and have specifically been picked out to help you find the best decor pieces for your home.
I put together this post because I want everyone to know it’s possible to decorate your home on a small budget. I’ve put together a list of 10 decor pieces that will drastically change the look of a room. Yes- even the smallest things can make a HUGE difference. Here’s a few I’ve found:
- Candles – They’re small, inexpensive, but serve a great purpose. Not only can it be an easy decor piece to add some color or dimension, a good smell will unknowingly change your perception of the room. My favorite candle is this Wild Lemongrass by Lulu Candles. It’s vegan, long lasting, and smells so good. Also a best seller on Amazon.
- Vase – I never really cared much for vases until recently. It’s a classic home decor piece, and every female should have a vase they fall in love with. You can put flowers in it, or leave it empty. I’ve learned to love fake flowers as decor. They’re easy to maintain, and still provide a pop of color.
- A good lamp – Having this will drastically change the lighting of the room. This in turn, can change the whole vibe. For example, in your bedroom, you use the main overhead light in the mornings. At night, you may want less of a light to make it feel a little more cozy and warm.
- Serving Tray – Again, this will double as a decor piece and as a serving tray. For me, it’s a smart piece to add more detail to a bland room without filling it up with bulky items. It’s subtle, but again can really change the look.
- Hooks – I discovered the decorative power of hooks when the only towel rack I had was above my bathtub. I didn’t want to have to throw my towel over the shower door every time, so I invested in a few of these. Come to find out, they made a huge difference for my bathrooms. Now I have decorative hooks for keys, dog leashes, and everything else I can possibly hang. They’re cheap, adorable, and I get so many compliments on them.
- Blanket – Seems simple enough, but it’s worth noting. These will add so much color to a room. Whether you throw it over a couch, or a bed, they’ll make a room less stiff and more inviting.
- Family photos in a nice frame – There’s a real estate trick when selling: remove pictures in the home for showings. Why? Because it takes away the personality of the family in the home, and helps potential buyers envision themselves in it. So if you want to make your space more “homey”, add a few good family frames to add in your family’s personality.
- Wreathe – They’re not just for your front door. Adding some greenery inside gives a fresh natural feel to the home. It also adds color, and dimension. Easily pair it with any wall decor piece you have. Here’s a picture of a wall in my study with and without the wreathe. I’ve linked both wall decor pieces below.
- Bathroom Plant – Tagging along with the wreathe, I love adding greenery to the bathroom as well. There’s always an awkward space on your toilet.. what do you put there? A small plant is the perfect find.
- Mirror – Mirror’s are somewhat of a magic trick for homes. Obviously, a mirror serves the purpose of being able to see yourself. Did you know that it also can make the room appear much bigger? It’s a trick designers use in small rooms. So if you have an empty wall in a small room, try using a mirror and see what it does. Bonus tip: if you can place it opposite of a window, it’ll lighten up the entire room as well as make it bigger.
- Curtains – This to me might be the biggest game change for a room. It helps your room seem taller (and therefore bigger), gives it color, and makes the room feel complete. I’ve included these best selling white ones curtains from Amazon. Here’s my secret: I always keep white curtains. As I’ve moved, I continue to use the same ones. They go with anything, they lighten up every room, and they’re totally affordable. Check the ones out that I use here.
So there you have it! My 11 pieces to help brighten your home, and make it more welcoming. Now, it’s up to you to make your home feel complete. I promise – these small pieces will noticeably help your room. Your friends and family will be giving you the compliments, and you’ll feel better about the small steps you’ve taken.